My Privacy Notice – how I handle your information
If you have any questions or require more information, please email me at firstname.lastname@example.org
It’s a free-for-all over here. You do not need to register, nor do you actually need to fill in your name/email; use that strange pseudonym you’ve always wanted to be known as for all I care (just be nice)!
Like many other sites, I run web security software as well as analytics. These keep certain information like IP addresses, browser type, ISP, date/time stamp, referring/exit pages, and possibly the number of clicks. All of this is used for site administration like (list not exhaustive)
- blocking illegal and unwanted behaviour like DDOS attacks, unauthorised logins, etc
- analyzing trends
- gathering information on how well content does with the average user
I will not and cannot track you down from such information. Should such information be collected, this is held within Google Analytics, WordFence and iThemes (outside of the EU, but I have checked for GDPR compliance) for such a period that is necessary for the correct functioning of the site;
- in the case of unauthorised and unwanted behaviour like ddos attacks, unauthorised logins etc. – Indefinitely
- in the case of use for the purposes of analysing information; up to 18 months
You can disable cookies through your browser options. What Are Cookies?
I do not knowingly collect any personally identifiable information from children. If a parent or guardian believes that I have personally identifiable information of a child in my database, please contact me immediately using the email in the first paragraph and I will promptly remove such information.
I post out two types of newsletters; weekly and monthly. For these purposes, I require personally-identifiable information such as:
- Name (so I know what to call you)
- Email address (so I know where to send it to)
I also request extra information, but this is not compulsory
- Date of birth (so I can send you free birthday goodies)
All newsletter subscriptions are handled through a form that is clearly identifiable as a newsletter signup with a clear distinction between the weekly or monthly newsletter. Once the ‘subscribe’ button on the site is pressed, the user will receive an email, asking for them to confirm that they wish to receive the newsletter in question. If (and only if) this confirmation is received, will the data held be retained and used for the purposes of a newsletter. If such confirmation is not received, data is removed within 48 hours.
Newsletter data will be held on servers outside of the EU, however, I have taken necessary precautions to ensure that the data holder complies with GDPR.
- Non-identifiable data
- By using the website, you allow consent for us to retain non-personally identifiable data for legitimate business purposes.
- Identifiable data
- As outlined in the ‘newsletter’ section, I collect personally identifiable data for the purposes of my newsletter. This data is given freely and is not obligatory for the use of this site. Data is only retained after a user clicks the link on a confirmation email. If this is not completed, data is erased.
User’s rights to data
As per the new GDPR, all persons whose personal data I hold have various rights to their data.
All access, removal and rectification requests should be emailed to email@example.com. Please outline what you wish for me to do (access your data/remove/rectify) and I will respond within 30 days (it probably won’t take that long!). Please note that if you request information I hold on the basis of an IP address, you’ll need to let me know the IP address in the email. Clicking on the links at the end of the newsletters will also act as official requests.